Jesus gave the Great Commission to the church: Making disciples … go (Matt. 28:19-20). Growth Groups at Oakland Hills Community Church are intended to be one means of being faithful to this charge. Growth Groups encourage people to grow as disciples by studying God’s Word together and to connect with other pilgrims on the journey.
Winter Growth Groups – Sign Up
- Ancient Church History – led by Pastor Ralph Rebandt
- Finding Christ in the Prophets – for women of all ages – led by Cheryl Meharg
- Building a Christian Conscience – led by Todd Gregory
Please review the growth group descriptions. An online sign up form will be available soon.
Ancient Church History
- Summary: This group will explore the first 500 years of church history
- Facilitator: Pastor Ralph Rebandt
- Venue: Oakland Hills Church Fellowship Hall
- Date/Time: Wednesdays from 7:00 p.m.-8:30p.m
The church possesses a rich history and has inherited doctrine throughout the ages that has allowed it to understand Scripture better and to worship the Lord in greater knowledge and veracity. This course will examine the first 500 years of the church in order to illuminate the impact of the early church so that the church today might know itself and her Lord better.
This course which consists of a series of thirty minute video lectures by Dr. W. Robert Godfrey. He examines major events, ideas, and people from the first five hundred years of church history, and explains their significance for the people of God today. The lecture video will be followed by discussion, fellowship and prayer. Join us for an inspirational time as we connect God’s work in the church and in history.
Finding Christ in the Prophets
- Summary: Friday morning ladies group – Finding Christ in the Prophets
- Facilitator: Cheryl Meharg
- Venue: OHCC Fellowship Hall
- Date/Time: Friday mornings, starting in early January
The Friday morning group is for women of all ages and stages, starting in early January. 10:00 am until 11:30 (ish). Entrance is thru the kitchen door at the SE corner of the church only. All other doors are locked for security purposes. We will be studying Finding Christ in the Prophets by Nancy Guthrie. This study is proving to be very relevant to our current world situation.
In the Old Testament, God spoke to his people through prophets ― men specially called to speak God’s Word to his people. The New Testament makes it clear that such prophets, whether chastising or comforting, testified to Israel’s final redemption and ultimate hope: Jesus the Messiah. The group will read and explore prophetic biblical themes such as:
- Hosea’s willingness to redeem his unfaithful bride from slavery
- Isaiah’s divine King and suffering Servant, who will be punished for his people
- Daniel’s stone, not hewn by human hands, that will crush every human kingdom
- Ezekiel’s vision of a city where we will enjoy Jesus’s presence forever
Cheryl Meharg says: “I made my profession of faith October 17, 1983 while attending Stony Creek United Methodist Church in Ypsilanti, MI. Within a few years we moved and attended Ward Presbyterian for 25 yrs. During those years I attended weekly the Community Bible Study, led a small group of women with toddlers and subsequently joined a Women’s Circle (Bible study) and attended Wednesday night Christian Education classes. I have taken 2 BSF (Bible Study Fellowship) studies and 10+ yrs of Precept studies. I continue studying and learning on Wednesday nights here at OHCC and other Growth Group opportunities.”
Building a Christian Conscience
- Summary: Building A Christian Conscience
- Facilitator: Todd Gregory
- Venue: Online via Zoom
- Date/Time: Every other Wednesday
The world seeks to suppress your conscience and conform it into the image of the lawless one. As a Christian, however, you must strive to reflect the holiness and obedience of Christ. In this course, Dr. R.C. Sproul lays the foundation for that lifelong process as he warns against the dangers of legalism and explains the importance of having a conscience that is guided by the Word of God.
The plan is to meet from 7PM- 8:30PM every other Wednesday on the following dates – 1/13, 1/27, 2/10, 2/24, 3/10, and 3/24 (this can be slightly flexible if the group determines an adjustment is necessary).