Want to know what we believe and teach as a church? This is an important question to ask when considering a church. While a page like this can hardly give a full answer, below is a brief summary of where we stand on many important issues.
What do we Believe?
As a Christian Church, we believe the Bible and we believe in and follow Jesus.
While the Bible is our first and primary standard, authentic Christianity has historically used creeds, confessions, and catechisms to organize, explain and apply what the Bible teaches. Some examples of historic creeds that we follow are the Apostles’ Creed and the Nicene Creed. The Westminster Confession of Faith and the Westminster Larger and Shorter Catechisms continue this historic tradition and serve as our current confessional standards.
Below is a short summary of Biblical Truth taught in the Westminster Confession of Faith.
- In the inerrant and infallible Word of God as the final authority for all of faith, life and practice
- In one God, eternally existing in three Persons, Father, Son, and Holy Spirit
- In Jesus Christ, truly God and truly man, born of the Virgin Mary
- In salvation from sin and its power only by faith in Jesus Christ’s substitutionary death alone
- In the bodily resurrection of Jesus Christ on the third day
- In the work and witness of the church in today’s world
- In God’s love extended through covenant relationship
Please contact our Pastor or one of our Elders for more clarification of these beliefs and to learn more about what we believe and teach at OHCC.