Jesus gave the Great Commission to the church: Making disciples … go (Matt. 28:19-20). Growth Groups at Oakland Hills Community Church are intended to be one means of being faithful to this charge. Growth Groups encourage people to grow as disciples by studying God’s Word together and to connect with other pilgrims on the journey.
2019 Fall Growth Groups – Sign-up now
- Redemption Accomplished and Applied – led by Gary Meharg
- Ecclesiastes – Where Wisdom is Found – led by Marcia (Thompson) Kowynia
- Overcomer – Ephesians 6 – The Full Armor of God – led by Joyce Harris and Marilyn Snyder
- Side by Side – Walking With Others in Wisdom and Love – led by Ken and Mandy Kruchkow
Please review the growth group descriptions, and sign up using the form at bottom of this page.
Redemption Accomplished & Applied
- Group Leader: Gary Meharg
- An advanced study for men and women who want to grow in their knowledge of the Bible and Christian doctrine.
- Location: OHCC Building, Fellowship Hall
- Date/Time: Wednesday, September 4, 2019 and following Wednesdays from 7-8:30pm
This book (200 pages) is a classic work on the atonement written by Professor John Murray of Westminster Seminary and originally published in 1955. It systematically explains the two sides of redemption: (1) its accomplishment through Jesus Christ’s atonement for sin and (2) its application to the lives of believers by the power of the Holy Spirit.
The ten chapters are filled with Scripture verses in support of the topics. The focus of each class will be to explore these verses and become more confident in speaking with others.
“In your hearts honor Christ the Lord as holy, always being prepared to make a defense to anyone who asks you for a reason for the hope that is in you.” 1 Peter 3:15 (ESV)
Gary Meharg grew up in Ypsilanti where he attended a United Methodist Church and was active as a youth leader. In 1985 he moved to Livonia and attended Ward Presbyterian Church. A trip to Scotland in 1989 coinciding with a work of the Holy Spirit started him on a deeper exploration of Reformed theology. The Mehargs joined OHCC in 2008. Gary has an MA from RTS, and has cultivated a large library. Gary has taught hundreds of hours of Bible studies and Christian education classes.
Ecclesiastes – Where Wisdom is Found
- Group Leader: Marcia (Thompson) Kowynia
- Summary: For women of all ages from OHCC and the local community.
- Location: Fellowship Hall at OHCC
- Date/Time: Friday, September 6, 2019 and following Fridays from 10am till noon.
The wisdom literature of the Bible is beautiful and inspiring, yet at times it can be confusing and hard to understand. In Where Wisdom is Found J.V. Fesko helps us think through the book of Ecclesiastes and demonstrates how it finds it’s fulfillment in the crucified and resurrected Messiah.
Ecclesiastes addresses many of the troubling ambiguities of life, revealing the futility of this world. But as we reflect on life under the sun, we can rejoice knowing that redemption and life in Christ bring more meaning to our existence than the vanity of things around us.
The group meets in the OHCC fellowship hall and participants can enter through the kitchen door. We have fellowship and refreshments from 10-10:15 and begin our study and discussion time at 10:15. We allow time for prayer requests before our group is dismissed at noon.
Overcomer – Ephesians 6 – The Full Armor of God
- Group Leaders: Joyce Harris and Marilyn Snyder
- OHCC senior ladies (50 and older) growth group – using video lessons, study book and group discussion. ( $9 for Study Guide )
- Location: Home of Marilyn Snyder
- Date/Time: Monday, September 9, 2019 and the following Mondays from 1pm to 3pm
Ephesians 6:11 says “Put on the whole armor of God, that you may be able to stand against the schemes of the devil.” The video below provides a quick introduction to the study material.
Joyce Harris says: “As a young girl my mother dropped me off at the 1st Baptist Church in Dearborn for Sunday School. My dad was Jewish so Jesus Christ was never mentioned in our home. When I was 13 my mom died, Sunday School stopped and my journey of wanting to know God began. At the age of 32 I heard the gospel at Ward church and I accepted Christ into my life. I came to Oakland Hills Community Church in 2014. I enjoy helping the senior ladies growth group, and really love opportunities for one on one mentoring.”
Marilyn Snyder says: “Hearing about Jesus and all He did for me in Bible school, I very much wanted Him to forgive my sins and be my Savior. Eventually as a young adult I truly desired to have the Lord be in control of my life (instead of myself) and sought to know and love Him more. Over the years I have lead various Bible studies and was a discussion leader in BSF for some years. In 2016 I joined OHCC. God has blessed Joyce and I with the opportunity to co-facilitate the senior ladies growth groups, of which we are so thankful.”
Side by Side – Walking With Others in Wisdom and Love
- Summary: This group is all about helping people grow as we walk side by side with Jesus.
- Leaders: Ken and Mandy Kruchkow
- Everyone is invited; kid friendly
- Location: The Kruchkow’s home — 35543 John Street, Wayne, Michigan, 48184
- Saturday mornings. Fellowship breakfast at 9am; study starts at 10am
We’ll be studying a book by Ed Welch called Side By Side (about $10)
Jesus has called us to be his disciples, to walk side by side with him. Part of walking side by side with Jesus is walking side by side with our fellow disciples of Christ. Written out of the conviction that friends are the best helpers, this study will equip believers to share their burdens with one another through gentle words of wisdom and kind acts of love. This book is written for those eager to see God use ordinary relationships and conversations between ordinary Christians to work extraordinary miracles in the lives of his people.
Ken and Mandy Kruchkow have been married 13 years and have five spunky and (usually) cheerful children. Starting in Bible College, Ken and Mandy went on a spiritual journey that led them into the Reformed camp of Christianity. They’ve been members of OHCC for several years. They moved to Philadelphia in 2015 to attend Westminster Theological Seminary. After graduation and the birth of baby #5, they returned to the Detroit area and are starting a 1 year internship at OHCC.
Sign up ended on 08-Sep-2019